It's nearly 2017, and the Mavericks don't play again for another week when they go to Alabama Huntsville. Just before Christmas, I wrote about the first half of the Mavericks' and the WCHA's season and looked ahead to the second half and what's to come. You can read that here.
While Minnesota State is off, several WCHA teams have been and will be in action this week. Here's a look at that schedule:
• Northern Michigan dropped two games at the Florida College Classic, falling to Cornell 5-2 and Merrimack 4-2.
• Michigan Tech is playing in the Great Lakes Invitational in Detroit. The Huskies beat Michigan 2-0 on Thursday and will play Western Michigan for the championship on Friday.
• In the Three Rivers Classic in Pittsburgh, Ferris State lost 1-0 to Robert Morris on Thursday and will play Boston College on Friday.
• At Minnesota's Mariucci Classic, Alabama Huntsville will play UMass Friday and either the Gophers or Mercyhurst on Saturday.
• Bemidji State and Alaska Anchorage are playing a WCHA series Friday and Saturday in Anchorage. The games are afternoon ones. Tough schedule to start the second half for the Beavers who, after playing the Seawolves, will go to Bowling Green for a Thursday-Friday series.
• Lake Superior State is playing a non conference series Friday and Saturday at Nebraska Omaha.
• Bowling Green is playing a single game against RIT Friday in Toledo, Ohio.
• Alaska is playing a Saturday-Sunday nonconference series at Notre Dame.