The Mavericks are back home and will host fifth-ranked Minnesota Duluth on Friday and Saturday. Here are a few things to know about what's ahead ...
• Student ticket distribution will take place at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday in the Taylor Center Hall of Champions. That's where the 1,100 free student tix get handed out to students with valid, current Mavcards. After those are gone, I believe students can buy tickets for $7, which is still a pretty good deal.
• You know those Saturday-night jerseys (above)? Well, those are replicas of the ones MSU wore in 1990-91 when the Mavs went to the Division II national title game and was the runner-up. On Saturday, Minnesota State will pay tribute to that team, which went 23-7-6 and had three All-Americans -- goalie Glen Prodahl, defenseman Derek Cooper and forward Bill Rooney.
• Staying on the subject of old Mavs, Chad Brownlee, hockey player-turned-Canadian country music star, is slated to be in town Saturday to sing the National Anthem. Brownlee's current single, "Day After You," ranks 16th on the Canadian Country Music charts.
• Lots of good info about the Bulldogs on Duluth News-Tribune writer Kevin Pates' blog, Rink and Run.
• Read some of MSU's pre-series notes here.