Minnesota State returned to the practice rink on Monday, going through two practices (presumably to skate that extra egg nog out of the boys). The Mavericks will participate in the Shillelagh Tournament, hosted by Notre Dame, in Hoffman Estates, Ill., on Saturday and Sunday. They will play the Irish at 6 p.m. on Saturday and will take on either Boston University or Brown on Sunday.
There are plenty of WCHA teams in action this week, starting Wednesday ...
• Colorado College and Michigan Tech are playing in the Great Lakes Invitational in Detroit on Wednesday and Thursday (Michigan and Michigan State are the other teams).
• St. Cloud State is playing in the Florida College Classic in Estero, Fla., on Wednesday and Thursday (Cornell, Miami and Maine are the others).
• Wisconsin is hosting a two-game series with Massachusetts on Thursday and Friday.
• Nebraska-Omaha is going to Quinnipiac for a Thursday-Friday series.
• Minnesota Duluth will be unveiling its new Amsoil Arena by hosting a nonconference game against North Dakota on Thursday. The game is also this year's U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game. Duluth will then travel to Clarkson for two games on Monday and Tuesday.
• Bemidji State will be playing in Minnesota's Dodge Holiday Classic on Friday and Saturday (Union and Ferris State are the other teams).
• Denver will host Northern Michigan in a series on Friday and Saturday.